Yesodot – The Center for Torah and Democracy– strives to promote civic-Jewish language as a basis for discourse, despite and stemming from Israel’s multi-faceted society.
Yesodot, a non-profit organization, was established following the murder of Prime Minister Yizhak Rabin, of blessed memory, by a group of educators from the religious Zionist sector, headed by Dr. Shlomo Fischer, Rabbanit Dr. Yafa Giser and Dr. Yehuda Ben Dor, alumni of the Mandel Institute, through the understanding of the need to strengthen the relationship between religious Zionist society and democracy and its values.
Yesodot creates opportunities to formulate, together with educators, language and pedagogic tools, to facilitate educational discussion with the current generation and future citizens with a Jewish-democratic emphasis, language and perspective.
In our activities, we delineate the points in common and points of disagreement, through exposure to a wide range of Jewish and democratic values. In this way, we assist educators in developing among their students a complex and coherent world view on the basis of their identity, one which grapples with these challenges.
Our activities include:
• Continuing education courses and study days for educators in formal and informal frameworks
• Study trips and consultation circles for principals, coordinators and school counselors
• Activities in the community and school for students
• Distribution of specialized lesson plans developed by us
• Inter-generational Beit Midrash for alumni of religious pre-military preparatory academies (mechinot)
• Activities in the community and school during the bar mitzva year
• Distribution of booklets and newsletters on current burning issues
• Educational trips and workshops adapted according to individual need